A new Access Point added to the Plasma Cloud console will need a connection to the Internet to receive its network configuration from the cloud. Typically, this is done by wiring the Access Point to your router using an Ethernet cable - just plug the cable directly into the router, a connected Switch or an Ethernet wall plug and it will setup automatically.
However, in some circumstances the Access Point may need to be installed in a location without any available Ethernet connection. If so, the Access Point will still be able to retrieve its network configuration via Wireless Mesh from other nearby mesh Access Points.
This article guides you through the process needed to add a new Access Point to an existing mesh network, but first please make sure that:
- You have already created an account on the Plasma Cloud console; and
- You have a network with at least one Access Point in it.
You can now proceed with adding a new device to your existing mesh network:
- Log into the Plasma Cloud console;
- Select the organisation and network you want to add your Access Point to from the top right menu;
- Make sure Wireless Mesh is enabled in at least one nearby device belonging to the same network or, alternatively, in the entire network (go to Settings of either one nearby device, or to Network Settings, to enable Wireless Mesh);
- Add the new Access Point to the network either by clicking on the map in the Overview page, or by clicking on the +ADD AP button in the Access Points page;
- Turn on the new Access Point.
What happens next depends on whether your Access Points:
- Are configured with the default WiFi channel; or
- Use a custom WiFi channel.
If your network is configured with the default WiFi channel, the new Access Point will connect right away to the Internet through the mesh network and automatically get its configuration from the cloud.
However, if your network is configured with a custom WiFi channel, the newly added Access Point will take longer to setup, as it will scan for a mesh network on all available channels first. Once the correct WiFi channel has been found, the new Access Point will connect to the Internet through the mesh on your custom WiFi channel and automatically get its configuration from the cloud.