A splashpage is used to channel users into seeing a custom web page before they can access the Internet from your network. This is often done to have users agree to specific terms and conditions before starting their navigation.
This article leads you through the process needed to create, build and configure your own splashpage.
Before you proceed, please make sure that:
- You have already created an account on the Plasma Cloud console; and
- You have created an organisation in your account (see the How to get started in the Plasma Cloud console? guide).
Create a Splashpage
- Log into the Plasma Cloud console;
- Select the Organisation you want to create the splashpage for from the top right menu (note that splashpages are shared among all the networks in the selected organisation);
- Navigate to Settings > Splashpages > Create Splashpage in the main menu on the left;
- Type your splashpage name and click Create in the form that opens up.
You will be redirected to a page with the splashpage editor and all the splashpage settings. You can now start building your splashpage - let's see how.
Build a Splashpage
You can build a splashpage through the splashpage editor. To do so, you can either start from scratch or use one of the templates available from the Templates drop-down menu on the top left of the editor.
The templates can be modified both graphically, using the WYSIWYG (what-you-see-is-what-you-get) editor tools, and via code, by clicking the icon on the top right of the editor.
Do not forget to click Save to make sure your changes don't get lost.
Import external files
Doing this opens the Asset management pop-up, where you can drop files to upload or pick them manually from your folders.
Once an asset has been uploaded, it's shown in the same pop-up window. Upon selection, you can rename any asset by clicking on the edit button next to the current name.
Make sure you do not forget to click on the save icon afterwards.
The following message will be displayed on the bottom of the window, to easily indicate the file path to be used in the editor to directly refer to the selected asset.
The icon in the editor can be used in a similar way to upload images only. We strongly advise using this option for images, as it also allows to specify a title, description and width/height values.
Create a "Proceed to Internet" Button
The provided templates are already equipped with a working "Proceed to Internet" button to allow users to start browsing. If you are making your own splashpage from scratch, please use the following code in order for your button to work correctly:
<form action="$authaction" method="get">
<input name="tok" type="hidden" value="$tok" />
<input name="redir" type="hidden" value="$redir" />
<button class="button" type="submit">Proceed to Internet</button>
Feel free to customize the submit button text, but please do not alter the other values as they are essential to the captive portal software.
A special keyword can be used to help you build your code more easily and effectively:
- $gatewayname -> any occurrence of this keyword in the splashpage HTML code will be substituted with the name of the Plasma Cloud network used to navigate.
Configure a Splashpage
Once your splashpage looks great and seems ready to be published, make sure you go through all its configuration settings as well.
- Type the webpage where clients have to be redirected after login (leave empty to have clients redirected to the originally requested page).
- Type the number of minutes that need to pass before showing the splashpage again.
- Walled garden: Type all those websites that users are allowed to visit prior to clicking-through your splashpage. Make sure the various links are separated by a space.